Many members have been in touch about our Mary Whitehouse quote project which we are running during this, our anniversary year.
It’s ironic that much of what we know about her views has come to us filtered by the media itself so, since 1st January we have been tweeting a quote from her writing every other day. We have also updated a dedicated Facebook page and website.
It’s been fascinating to hear Mary in her own words and I thought that, if you’ve not been following the initiative, you would be interested to see some of the material posted so far.
- “If society accepts the free distribution and display of pornography then inevitably it will fall into the hands of children.” 1967
- “We have created a candy-floss society in which the young can find little of hard substance on which to cut teeth of conviction.” 1967
- “The creative growth of a society, and its stability, depend on the willingness of the individual to accept responsibility for his behaviour.” 1971
- “The new libertarians are, in fact, the new tyrants. They launch an assault upon the senses and freedom of the individual which is the essence of the worst kind of dictatorship.” 1971
- “A simple choice: between genuine freedom and total licence, between cultural responsibility and cultural anarchy.” 1982
- “No other age has exploited violent crime, as ours does, by constantly exploiting it as entertainment.” 1985
- “Because it is such a powerful and all-pervasive medium, TV is bound to play a key role in creating the quality of life we all experience.” 1985
- “We trivialise the argument about what is and what is not acceptable in public and private attitudes and behaviour if we reduce the issue to personal taste.” 1993
- “Broadcasters should not take their decisions in a social vacuum.” 1993
- “Today our society ruthlessly exploits the minds and emotions of young people for financial and political capital.” 1993
- “We shall raise a generation which either grasps at sex as a physical lust or treats it simply as a passing fancy, no more.” 1993
If you are a Facebook user please like the page and invite your contacts to like it too and if you are a tweeter please re-tweet us. We hope to get as many people engaged and following this as possible. This initiative will continue throughout 2014 and we plan to use it as a basis for a major media initiative later in the year.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/MrsMWhitehouse @mrsmwhitehouse
If you have not already done so please do consider contacting your MP about the Pornification of a Generation Conference which is taking place in Parliament. You can do this simply and easily using our campaign website www.safeonline.org.uk. Thank you to all those who have already taken the time to do this; as a result of your emails several MPs have been in touch for further details having overlooked their invitations first time around.